Outer Island Resources
- Tide Prediction Web Site (search tides anywhere, make custom charts)
- Tide Predictions for Branford, CT (make your own custom chart)
- NOAA Tides & Currents for Branford, CT (tide predictions for Branford, CT specifically)
- Stewart B. McKinney National Wildlife Preserve
- Friends of Outer Island (Facebook page)
- Friends of Outer Island (website)
- Crab Counts (ongoing research on Asian Shore Crab)
- Benthic Marine Algal Herbarium of Long Island Sound (University of Connecticut)
- Student Guide to Phrtoplankton of Long Island Sound (PDF) (University of Conecticut)
- Seaweed Farming in Long Island Sound (PDF) (University of Conecticut)
- Boston Harbor Seaside Educator's Guide (PDF) (New England Aquarium)
- CT Rocks!: The Geology of Connecticut (Yale, Peabody Museum of Natural History)
- Description of rocky intertidal habitats at the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary, California (NOAA)
- Rocky intertidal zonation and organisms from South Africa
- Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill, and its effects in the Gulf of Mexico (Wikipedia)
- Photos and descriptions of various rocky intertidal organisms (Stony Brook University, State University of New York)
- Descriptions of California's rocky intertidal zones from the California Coastal Commission's California Coastal Resources Guide
- The Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk
- MYSound (University of Connecticut, Department of Marine Sciences)
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA homepage)
- National Weather Service (NOAA)
- National Ocean Service (NOAA)
- National Marine Sanctuaries (NOAA)
- Ocean Prediction Center (NOAA)
- NOAA Fisheries
- NOAA Fisheries Feature: Marine Mammals
- NOAA Fisheries, Office of Protected Resources: Sea Turtles
- NOAA Fisheries: National Marine Mammal Laboratory
- Daily Tide Chart (NOAA)
- Nautical Charts and Maps (NOAA)
- United States Geological Survey (USGS homepage)
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA homepage)
- Coastal and Marine Geology Program (USGS)
- Woods Hole Oceanographic institution
- Scripps Institution of Oceanography (University of California, San Diego)
- Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory (Columbia University, Earth Institute)
- Connecticut Sea Grant (University of Connecticut)
- New York Sea Grant (Stony Brook University, State University of New York)
- Rhode Island Sea Grant (University of Rhode Island)
- Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
Anderson, Tom, "This Fine Piece of Water", Yale University Press, 2002.
Bachand, Robert G., "Coastal Atlantic Sea Creatures: A Natural History", Sea Sports Publications, 1994.
Bell, Michael, "The Face of Connecticut People, Geology, and the Land", State Geological and Natural History Survey of Connecticut, 1988.
"Long Island Sound: An Atlas of Natural Resources", Connecticut Dept. of Environmental Protection, 1989.
Gosner, Kenneth L., "Atlantic Seashore", Houghton Mifflin Company, 1978.
"Guide to Marine Mammals of the World", National Audubon Society, Alfred A. Knopf, Inc, New York, 2002.
Hannah, Janice, "Seals of Atlantic Canada and the Northeastern United States", International marine Mammal Association, Inc., Ontario, Canada, 1998.
Katona, Steven K, Rough, Valerie, and Richardson, David T., "A Field Guide To Whales, Porpoise's and Seals from Cape Cod to Newfound", Smithsonian Institution, 1993.
King, Judith, "Seals of the World", Comstock Publishing Associates, Ithaca, N.Y., 1983.
Kurlansky, Mark, "Cod: A biography of the Fish That Changed the World", Penguin Books, 1997.
"Mac's Field Guide to Northeast Coastal Invertebrates", Seattle Washington.
McPhee, John, "Founding Fish", Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2002.
Reeves, Randall R., Stewart, Brent S., and Leatherwood, Stephen, "The Sierra Club Handbook of Seals and Sirenians", San Francisco, 1992.
Ridgway, Sam H., Harrison, Richard J., "Handbook of Marine Mammals", Academic Press, New York, 1981.
Riedman, Marianne, "The Pinnipeds, Seals, Sea Lions, and Walruses", University of California Press, Berkely and Loss Angeles, 1990.
Robbins/Ray/Douglass, "Atlantic Coastal Fishes", Houghton Mifflin Company, 1986.
Sibley, David Allen, "The Sibley Guide to Birds", Chanticleer Press, Inc., 2000.
Smith, DeBoyd L., Johnson Kevin B., "A Guide to Marine Coastal Plankton and Marine Invertebrate Larvae, Second Edition", Kendall Hunt, 1996.
Thomson, Keith Stewart, Week III, W.H., Taruski, Algis G., Simanek, Dan E., "Saltwater Fishes of Connecticut", State Geological and Natural History Survey of Connecticut, 1978.
Tiner, Ralph W. Jr., "A Field Guide to Coastal Wetland Plants of the Northeastern United States", The University of Massachusetts Press, 1987.
Todd, C.D., Laverack, M.S., Boxshall, G.A., "Coastal Marine Zooplankton Second Edition", Cambridge University Press, 1996.
Van Patten, Peg, Moore, Milton, O'Muin, Eamon, "Sound Facts", Connecticut Sea Grant, 1997.
Wahle, Lisa, "Plants and Animals of Long Island Sound 2nd Edition", Connecticut Sea Grant program, 1991.
Weiss, Howard M., "Investigating the Marine Environment: A Sourcebook, volume 1–Field Studies", Project Oceanology, Avery Point, Groton, CT., 1979.
Weiss, Howard M., "Investigating the Marine Environment: A Sourcebook, volume 2–Classroom Studies", Project Oceanology, Avery Point, Groton, CT., 1979.
Weiss, Howard M., "Investigating the Marine Environment: A Sourcebook, volume 3–Teacher’s Manual", Project Oceanology, Avery Point, Groton, CT., 1979.
Weiss, Howard M., "Marine Animals of Southern New England and New York", State Geological and Natural History Survey of Connecticut, 1995.
Wynne, Kate, Schwartz, Malia, Mix, Garth, "Guide to Marine Mammals & Turtles of the U.S. Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico". Sea Grant, University of Rhode Island, 1999.
Zim, Herbert, Ingle, Lester, "Seashore Life, a Guide to Animals and Plants along the Beach", Golden Guide, New York, 1989.